Storms Never Last

Storms never last do they baby
Bad times all pass with the wind
Your hand in mine stills the thunder
And you make the sun want to shine.
- Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter

Monday, September 24, 2012

Visiting Machu Picchu

Originally written Monday September 10, 2012

We're back from Peru.  Did you see the signs I made for you? Your Daddy and I took photos with them at Machu Picchu and Tambo del Inka and on the beach at the Doubletree in Paracas.  I hope you liked them.  I made one for your friend Chloe too.  Her momma Nikki is having an especially hard time right now.  I want to send her the pictures of Chloe's sign and the shells we found on the beach, but I'm afraid it might make her feel even more overwhelmed with grief than she already is.  As you probably saw, on the first morning we walked on the beach, we were repulsed by all the gross jellyfish washed up on shore.  I'd never seen jellyfish up close. I had no idea they came in so many colors, patterns and sizes.  But, we also found two beautiful perfect scallop shells.  I couldn't believe it, two, just perfect, one for each of you.  Saturday night, when we were walking over to the adjacent hotel for dinner, I found another scallop shell.  I wanted to pick it up for Chloe.  Daddy said to wait and get it on the way back to our hotel after dinner.  But, after taking a few steps away from the shell, I went back, picked it up, washed it off and put it in my jacket pocket.  I'm so glad I did, because the rest of our time there, I never saw another perfectly intact scallop shell.  Now, Chloe can have one too. While we were on the terrace of our hotel room at Tambo del Inka, your Daddy told me he'd been watching one of the trees waving in the breeze.  That tree split in two from the main trunk and both branches were waving in the wind.  He told me he decided it was the Shelby and Dalton tree.  Momma wanted to take your pictures out and sit with them while we were in the cathedral in Lima, but I was afraid I'd start crying and not be able to stop.  You were with us every step of the way on that trip yet the most ironic thing is that we wouldn't have even taken that trip if you'd survived.

Yesterday, we went to the Cardinals season opener with Grandpa Larry and Uncle Bill.  Grandpa Joe and Grandma Nancy work the games, so they were there too.  It may seem incredibly trivial to write about football, but football has been part of my life since shortly after I was born.  The story is on Sundays, I used to sit with your Grandpa Joe and Great-Grandpa Stanley and just take in everything about football.  Supposedly, I even uttered some version of a then-famous quarterback's name before I said Momma.  After I moved to Arizona, your Daddy told me how happy he was that I liked football so much, as he would finally have someone to go to Cardinals games with him.
So, it's the 2012 season, what should have been your first year to "watch football".  I was fine at first, even as we walked through the fan shop and I saw all the infant and children items available. We got to our seats and I was still fine.  I was being my usual obnoxious self, going off on tangents to your Daddy about many different things:  how well Robert Griffin III was doing in his professional debut,  how much I dislike the Seahawks and their coach, and how I was going to yell loudly for my favorite players, depending on if they announced offense or defense (for Larry Fitzgerald and Lyle Sendlein (UT), or Adrian Wilson, Darnell Dockett and Sam Acho (UT) ).  Well, the defense was announced, and I started yelling and doing the Hook Em Horns sign for Sam Acho, but the yell was quickly replaced by choking sobs.  I put on my sunglasses and tried to pull myself together, but the tears lasted through the national anthem.  I kept wishing Nikki was in the open seat next to me.  I don't know what came over me, but watching the player intros just broke my heart.  I guess it made me think about how y'all should have been there with us, going to your first NFL game.  I guess I was also thinking about all the dreams I had of Dalton being a long snapper.  It just killed me.  Then, there were pregnant women with big huge bellies all around, as well as several infants.  On the Jumbotron, they showed one dad with his baby, I couldn't tell if it was a boy or girl, but it looked like my baby pictures with all that dark hair and the dad had put noise cancelling earphones on the baby's head to protect his or her hearing.  There was another mother carrying a blond girl up and down the stairs in our section.  I felt like the child was just staring at me each time they passed.  And then of course, there were twins on the offensive lines for each team.  They were kinda dorky looking, each 6'7" and over 300 pounds.  Not that y'all would have been dorky looking or that big, it's just the fact that there were TWINS playing in the game.  Daddy and I took that as a sign y'all were saying hi.  And of course, Monday Night Football tonight featured the Cincinnati Bengals with their QB, Andy Dalton.  Daddy asked me if I was watching the game and hearing your name.  Of course I was.

I took Uncle Billy and Daddy to the airport this morning, uncle so he could go back home to Colorado Springs and Daddy off to business in Texas.  So it's just me and your dog siblings.  Abby seems to be recovering from her ear hematoma.  She's such a good dog, she'd have been so protective of you as your canine big sister.  Ike made an ass of himself on Saturday night when we had everyone over for lasagna.  He was crazy in the pool, nipping at Abby and trying to mount her.  Then, later on, he was barking loudly in your cousin Emily's face.  I did not like that behavior.  I don't know what is wrong with him, but we'll monitor him closely in the future.  I don't know if he was bothered by all the inconsistencies over the past two weeks with us gone, then back, then everyone over.  I think Daddy may have to really re-establish himself as the strong pack leader.

That's all for now my darlings, as I had originally started writing that 2 weeks ago tonight, and I'm afraid I forgot what else I wanted to write about then.

No comments:

Post a Comment